Shaharwali and Johari Sath are the oldest Rajasthani Jain communities migrated to Bengal. Connection and co-operation between these two oldest communities are obvious.
Few interesting features:
1. Shaharwali community is the oldest to come in Bengal and Johari Sath followed them.
however, Johari Sath had come to Kolkata first and Shaharwali community afterward.
2. Shaharwali community had influence over Nawabs of Murshidabad but Johari Sath had it
over Nawab of Avadh and British rulers.
3. Shaharwali community worked as Bankers and traders initially and then switched over to
Zemindari but Johari Sath were in Gems and Jewelry business only.
4. Shaharwali community is comprised of Oswal Jain clan but only one Shrimal family where
as Johari Sath is dominated by Shrimal clan of Jain.
5. Shaharwali community came directly from Rajasthan but Johari Sath people came mainly
via UP and Delhi.
6. Management of Sammet Shikhar Tirth always remained with Shaharwali community whereas that of Rajagriha remained with Johari Sath. Pawapuri is managed jointly by both
the communities. However, Rai Badridas Bahadoor Mookim contributed a lot to Sammet
He built Parasnath Toonk on the top of the hills and played major role in buying Parasnath
hills on behalf of Shwetambar Jain community represented by Anandji Kalyanji Pedhi. He also influenced the then Viceroy and Governor General of British India in stopping order of
establishing a slaughter house in the sacred Jain Tirth.
7. Shaharwali society have always taken active part in politics but Johari Sath never. Shaharwali
community have many MP, MLA, MLCs and even Deputy Chief Minister of West Bengal but Johari Sath have none.
8. Rai Badridas Bahadoor Mookim of Johri Sath founded Bengal National Chamber of Commerce But he handed over it to Rai Dhanpat Singh Bahadoor Dugar of Shaharwali Community and he
adorned the chair.
9. Sayaji Conferences of Jain were organized by Maharaja Baroda. Many times Shaharwali community and Johari Sath had shared the key posts of Presidents and Secretaries of those conferences. Once, that I know, Rai Budh Singh Dudhoria of Bari Kothi, Azimganj was in the Chair and Rai Badridas Bahadoor Mookim was handling the matters as Secretary.
Marital relations between Shaharwali and Johari Sath
View Blog: Johari Sath